Romantic Rustic Opera House Wedding: Elizabeth & Kristen
Feb. 27, 2016
Kristen proposed to Elizabeth on their two-year dating anniversary, Feb. 27, 2012, but the wedding had to wait for national marriage equality to catch up. Ultimately, they were married on June 26, 2015, the day of the landmark Supreme Court ruling. Planning a ceremony that included Elizabeth and Kristen’s family and friends was very important to them, however, so they held an “encore ceremony and reception” on Feb. 27, 2016.
They loved everything about their wedding day, but the time they spent taking photos upstairs in the opera house was some of their favorite. Their guests were downstairs enjoying a cocktail hour and Kristen and Elizabeth could hear music and their guests enjoying the time together. Part of the private photo session was a quick final practice of their first dance.
Kristin and Elizabeth made a list of advice for other couples, including:
- Have a signature drink! They chose peach bellinis which were a hit.
- Make a list of the different combinations of people with whom you want to take posted photos. They thought they would be okay without the list, but they missed a few important shots.
- Wear only what you’re 100 percent comfortable wearing. If it’s a suit, great! If it’s a dress, great!
- Do a “First Look” before your ceremony. There is something really intimate about seeing each other beforehand. It transformed Elizabeth’s nerves into excitement.
- Consider asking your guests to unplug during the ceremony and put away their electronic devices. Instead of looking out at a crowd of phones in the air, they saw smiling faces (and some tears of joy). It was memorable and they could feel the love and support in the air.
Their LGBTQ-Friendly Vendors
Photographer: Green Holly Photography // Reception Venue: Howell Opera House // Caterer: C.C. Catering // Cake Designer: Crafty Custom Cakes by Christina Zamenski // Dress Store: David’s Bridal // Floral Designer: Jennifer Karres // Officiant: Mike McMillan // Design and Decor: The Urban Upcyclers // Other: Bonnie’s Alterations
Submitted via Two Bright Lights