Top 5 Destinations for Gay & Lesbian Honeymoons
By Ben Miller, Assistant Editor, Occasions365.com
Wouldn’t it be nice if every happy couple could choose any destination in the world to celebrate their love and kick off the beginning of their lives together? Ideally, that would be the case. Unfortunately, it isn’t.
Although more and more destinations are becoming gay-friendly each year, there are still many cities and establishments discriminating against guests because of their sexual orientation. The good news is, you probably wouldn’t want to go to these places anyways – especially when there are much classier, more sophisticated and more welcoming destinations to choose from.
If you’re embarking upon ahoneymoon, we suggest taking a look at our recommendations for the top 5 destinations for gay & lesbian honeymoons:
1. Cape Town, South Africa. A legal gay/lesbian wedding destination since November of 2006, Cape Town, South Africa has quickly become a popular city for honeymoons and destination weddings. You and your partner can take a ride on one of the many exhilarating wildlife safaris, have a few drinks at one of the gay-friendly bars/nightclubs or embark on a romantic wine tour. Cape Town has something to offer for everyone.
2. Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. Nestled within a vast array of cobblestone streets and scenic rivers, Quebec City, Canada is one of the most romantic honeymoon hotspots in the world. The third Canadian province to legalize same-sex marriages (in March of 2004) Quebec has garnered a significant amount of popularity from the gay community. Enjoy a glass of wine outside a quaint cafe followed by a romantic walk in the historic surrounding neighbourhoods.
3. San Francisco, California. Boasting one of the most respected gay communities in the world, San Francisco California is the ideal destination for honeymooners – gay or straight. Newlyweds can spend their first days together strolling the scenic grounds of Golden Gate Park or biking the trails of Mount Tamalpais. Finish off the night with a celebratory drink in San Fran’s Castro District – known as a gay Mecca and respected by locals and tourists alike.
4. Hawaii. There’s no shortage of romantic activities for newlyweds in Hawaii. This gay-friendly destination offers scenic views of volcanoes, rainforests and botanical gardens unlike any other destination in the world. You and your partner can enjoy a luxury stay at Hawaii’s Grand Wailea resort which features a 2,000 foot long pool, jungle pools, waterfalls, nine free form rapids, waterslides and a 50,000 square foot spa. Now that’s how a real couple celebrates.
5. Miami, Florida. Miami is host to some of the hottest nightclubs and gay-friendly bars in the United States. Spend the day lounging on the beach and taking in the beautiful art deco architecture surrounding the sands. Spend the nights sipping on wine and dining in one of many charming bistros and boutiques the city has to offer.
This Top 5 Honeymoon Destination list was compiled by Occasions365.com
Image credit: kerdkanno / 123RF Stock Photo